Prepare for Your Trip
Our cruises begin and end in Sitka, Ketchikan, or Juneau (depending on itinerary). After making your reservation with us, please complete the Guest Information Form to confirm your flight arrival and departure information, emergency contact information, and other itinerary-specific details (this information is very important to us). Upon arrival at the Sitka, Juneau, or Ketchikan airport, an Alaskan Dream Cruises Representative will meet you and provide additional instructions. We provide complimentary transfers one day prior to the sailing date as well as on the day of embarkation.
Southeast Alaska Weather
During the Alaska cruise season, May through September, expect daytime temperatures between 55° and 65° F, with nighttime five degrees cooler (although in summer there is daylight most of the time). Temperature rarely exceeds 75° F, even in mid-summer. Southeast Alaska weather is influenced by its maritime climate, high mountains, and extensive glacier coverage.
What to Pack
There are no formal occasions and because of Alaska’s casual style, each itinerary is active, outdoor-oriented and designed for marine and wildlife viewing.
We suggest you bring:
- Waterproof jackets, hat base layers, and other layered clothing options. Synthetics (polypropylene, fleece, Capilene®, Gore-Tex®) or wool are excellent choices. Sweaters, sweatshirts, and light waterproof jackets are also worth packing.
- Warm hat and gloves
- Comfortable and sturdy waterproof walking shoes or all-terrain footwear.
- Alaskan Dream Cruises provides waterproof jacket, pants and boots for use during your cruise. However, we recommend bringing your favorite jacket.
- There is no laundry facility onboard, so bring adequate clothing to sustain you for the duration of your itinerary.
- Alaskan Dream Cruises provides binoculars to use during your cruise at no charge. However, if you own your own binoculars, we recommend packing them.
- Bring a journal if you keep one — you’ll have lots to write about.
- If you are a birder, bring your field guides.
- Postcards, note cards, and stationery can be purchased locally.
- Sunglasses are a necessity on sunny days. Even on cloudy days, the glare is pronounced on the water. It is also a good idea to bring sunscreen.
- There is a reference library on board.
- Playing cards and board games are available.
- Depending on weather conditions, you may have the opportunity to join the “Killer Whale Club” by jumping into the ocean in a wilderness bay. Pack your swim suit!
On Board Facilities/Amenities
- Guest cabins aboard vessels have standard 110-volt outlets.
- A hairdryer is provided in each guest cabin.
- Towels are provided, as well as a selection of organic, biodegradable, earth-friendly soaps and shampoos.
- Pillow-top Sealy World Class series mattresses, sheets manufactured by The Comfy Company and our pillows and duvets are hypo-allergenic synthetic.
- Guest cabins are fairly spacious, we suggest limiting yourself to two pieces of luggage.
- Laundry services are not available on board. We can provide you with an iron if you require one.
- We have a library of books that pertain to many aspects of Alaska such as history, geology, marine and wildlife. Each vessel has lounges designed for marine and wildlife viewing. Additionally, we offer afternoon and evening lecturers to educate guests on the many fascinating aspects of Alaska history, geology, marine and wildlife.
- Smoking is prohibited anywhere inside the vessel, including all staterooms. Smoking is permitted on selected outside decks. All public buildings, including restaurants, in Alaska prohibit smoking. Smoking is permitted in some bars and lounges.
- Mobile (cellular) phone service is available in selected areas throughout Southeast Alaska. A member of the crew will be able to advise when this service is likely to be available. In addition, Alaskan Dream Cruises ships are equipped with satellite phones for conducting business operations and emergency situations. However, due to the mountain region of this area this service can be intermittent.
Alaskan Dream Cruises
Sales & Reservations Office Hours
7 a.m. – 4 p.m. (AKST/AKDT)
Alaskan Dream Cruises is authorized by Special Use Permit to provide Guiding and Outfitting services in the Tongass National Forest. Alaskan Dream Cruises is an equal opportunity employer and service provider.
Alaskan Dream Cruises partners with Travel Guard Insurance. Please ask one of our Alaska experts for additional information or click on the following link Travel Guard Insurance.