Orca Point Lodge Cultural Guide
REPORTS TO: Onboard & Land Excursion Coordinator, Juneau Operations Assistant
The Cultural Guide plays a vital role in introducing Alaskan Dream Cruises (ADC) guests to the diverse native culture of Southeast Alaska during their time at either Orca Point Lodge (OPL). This position works closely with OPL Staff and True Alaskan Guides from each ADC vessel to ensure a seamless and consistent cultural experience at every visit. The Cultural Guide connects with guests at a personal level by sharing their own experiences as well as the history of the culture.
The Cultural Guide should be a local Alaskan, or an individual who has spent extensive time in Southeast Alaska.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Lead and manage according to the Core Values of True Alaskan Hospitality as defined in our Mission Statement: “Immerse each guest in personable and unsurpassed level of service we call True Alaskan Hospitality”.
- Welcome guests to Orca Point Lodge in a friendly and professional matter.
- Announce how the dinner, cultural presentation, and outdoor activities will work for the evening.
- Develop and deliver educational presentations (formal and informal) that exemplify a passion for the native culture of Southeast Alaska.
- Tell stories and share personal cultural experiences with guests by the campfire.
- Have a friendly, approachable demeanor and possess outstanding customer service skills.
- Be comfortable with public speaking in front of large groups.
- Knowledge of the Tlingit language is a plus but is not required.
- Be punctual and able to follow a set schedule – will be taking an Allen Marine vessel to and from Orca Point Lodge.
- Understand and respect the many political and environmental points of view that guests hold.
- Ensure that material presented does not marginalize any traveler.
- Must be a team player – work closely with OPL and Alaskan Dream Cruises staff.
- Maintain awareness of basic safety rules, workplace safety and respect for the environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Public speaking experience. Must be able to effectively communicate to large groups of guests.
- Experience or background in native cultures of Southeast Alaska.
- Must be able to work long and varied shift hours, including weekends, holidays and rotating days off. Must be flexible in meeting tour demands.
- Must be well groomed, courteous, honest, and reliable.
- Ability to interpret and follow rules, policy and procedures.
- Ability to maintain composure with courteous and professional demeanor.
- Must pass a security background check and DOT drug test.
- Proven team player and have a Can-Do attitude.
- Cultural tourism experience.
- Resides in Juneau, Alaska.
TRAITS & CHARACTERISTICS:
- Strong commitment to safety.
- A genuine desire to serve the public.
- Positive, personable and professional demeanor.
- Adaptive to changes in a progressive work environment.
- Strong record of being organized, dependable and punctual.
- Strong conflict resolution skills and ability to work within a diverse workforce.
It is strongly recommended that applicants have access to a computer and a mobile phone during the entire hiring process. We expect to hear from candidates within a few days of our communication (request for interview, documentation, follow up, etc.) Recruitment process cannot continue if the candidate is not responsive. Please note that how you communicate with a potential employer is part of the evaluation process. Always be polite, prompt and professional when communicating with the office.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This is a fast-paced and dynamic work environment with a diverse workforce. Due to remote locations of vessel routes, internet connectivity is limited. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Transportation from the Allen Marine dock in Juneau to the Orca Point Lodge on Colt Island will be provided by an Allen Marine day tour vessel each day.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Travel to and from Orca Point Lodge by way of Allen Marine vessel is required. Must be physically able to work a typical workday of about 8-12 hours per day, seven days a week. Environmental conditions generally include ambient inside temperature, ambient inside lighting, ambient to loud noise levels, all weather conditions, occasional use of required protective clothing including rain gear and life preserver. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel. Physically able to climb a 7-foot vertical ladder and fit through a 28-inch escape hatch.
This job description is intended only to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by an employee in this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, or abilities required of persons so classified or assigned.