March 10, 2020
Dear Alaskan Dream Guest,
Like many of you, we have been following the news regarding the coronavirus and our hearts go out to those who have been affected.
We understand some people have questions and concerns regarding travel at this time. We are also aware of recent government cautions. We advise all of you to read the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization and the UN World Tourism Organization.
While you most likely booked with us because of the benefits of a small group expedition, we want to provide a few specifics to bear in mind:
- In 2020, Alaskan Dream Cruises will operate five small expedition vessels with capacities ranging from just 12 to 76 guests. Due to our high crew-to-guest ratio, we are uniquely positioned to monitor the health of our guests at embarkation and throughout each expedition. To assist us in this effort, we will be sending out a pre-expedition questionnaire to mitigate potential health risks.
- From the company’s beginnings in 2011, we’ve been proud of our rigorous cleaning standards. In light of COVID-19, we will be implementing even more in-depth steps under the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s protocols.
- Cabins, common areas, galleys and dining rooms will be cleaned daily with EPA-approved virus-killing disinfectants. (Yes, this means everything from the doorknobs to the leather chairs and on down to the computer keyboards.)
- Antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers will be provided in all common areas and public restrooms.
- A sterilizing UV light has been installed on all onboard HVAC / vent systems.
- A disinfectant-infused walk-off carpet will be installed at gangways to prevent possible contamination of carpets and other floors.
- As a family-owned company we can offer the peace of mind that comes with owning private docks and facilities throughout Southeast Alaska.
- Alaskan Dream Cruises itineraries are flexible—we can easily re-route vessels to minimize any risk should they arise in a particular community. As of March 9, 2020, there are no known cases of COVID-19 in Alaska.
- An important aspect of every Alaskan Dream Cruises itinerary is spending time in remote wilderness areas. Southeast Alaska is a region with more than 1,000 islands and more than 18,000 miles of coastline–about 20% of the coastline of the entire United States. In fact, the square mileage of our land and water is not too far under the square mileage of the state of Florida. And yet, Southeast Alaska is home to just 72,000 residents. There are hundreds of quiet bays, passages, and channels to explore in the event that an unforeseen change needs to be made.
- Our organization has been in business for over 50 years and we are fortunate to have infrastructure throughout the Inside Passage. As such, we are agile and equipped to ensure your well-being.
- As always, we encourage travelers to look into the many types of travel insurance available on the market, including “cancel for any reason” policies.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns and our reservations team, alongside our management, will be happy to assist you. We’re looking forward to hosting you in an area full of wildlife, glaciers and untamed wilderness. While we do so, please be assured that your health and safety are our top priorities.
All the best,
Dave & Lauren Allen